Thursday 15 October 2009

Non-Formal Learning, is it of value?

Last night, I was lucky enough to be invited along to a round table discussion on Community Learning & Development with reps from within the sector and MSPS, John Park and Margaret Curran.
Mary Blair from Midlothian's CLD asked me along as someone who has used the scheme to give my view.
Of course the main reason for the discussion was the worry about budget cuts and how this would impact the non-formal adult learning. By non-formal we are talking about non-qualification or non-skills based education. So I felt I really must share my experience and how important I believe this scheme to be.
When I moved to the wee town I now live in, I felt quite isolated. I had a baby - too small for nursery, and post natal depression. A combination which perhaps niether endeared me to the community nor it to me! However, through my health visitor pushing me, I made it along to a PND group. It was a lifeline to me. For two hours a week I got to chat to women with similar stories while my precious baby was safely looked after in a creche. As a follow on, I was introduced to an alternative therapy course at the community centre. Again, for no fee, and a creche, I could spend time in a group learning about massage and relaxation. At the time, this was a free resource and the benefits to me were far more than learning to identify the difference between lavender and bergamot (though, I must say, that was lovely!). I met and made friends with local people which in turn made me feel more confident and that I had, and deserved, a place within my community.
I then went on to a confidence building class facilitated by Mary Blair and Ali Burrel. Again, the bonding with fellow learners and the childcare provided all helped me to keep believing in myself and find the positivity and confidence that had eroded from me through the mental health and isolation issues.
I cannot praise Community Based Non-Formal Adult Education enough! I am now a published author, hosting and facilitating groups of my own in creative writing. www.ScottishAuthor.co.uk
It is likely, that with budget cuts, programmes like these will be the first to go - they can not be measured in economic success or job creation. However, I believe the long-term positive outcomes are far reaching and benefit the community at the most basic level - the individual. After all, surely that's where community building begins.
Thanks for reading! Please pass on if you think this is important! x x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - you've made my day x x